Last month, I heard Anthony Ongaro from Break the Twitch speak about friction. It made so much sense of how to change bad habits. I feel like being a women means you have to love shopping. That was a stereotype ingrained in my adolescence. I’m here to tell you that you can break the habit or at least slow it down.
Here are 5 ways to help you add “friction” to your spending
- Identify how marketing is sabotaging you. Unsubscribe from every single email that is sending you coupons or sales alerts.
- If you use Facebook, unfollow or unlike every store that is swaying you buy something you don’t need.
- Online stores you love: Delete your credit card number from the website immediately.
- Grab your phone and delete every application that encourages spending. This would include Target Cartwheel.
- Gather your junk mail, call every single mailer or magazine and request to be removed from their mailing list. I typically pile up 4-5 items and then make all the calls at once.
I also recommend this video to give a touch of perspective.